Friday, June 11, 2010

Mother's Day...loving words from Jake


For those of you who have been faithfully following my updates on Claire, you no doubt have some idea about the nature of my dear wife, Rebecca. I am fortunate to have had nearly 11 years of marriage with her. We have gone through many trials, but this one is likely the most strenuous.

My wife has sacrificed much over the last six weeks. Though this is the expectation of a mother, she has also shown extraordinary, patience, strength, flexibility, and faith that places her amongst the noblest classes of human beings. I suppose I have some bias as a husband, but I doubt even a few of you would disagree.

Rebecca spent 14 hours a day at the Salem Hospital NICU, then showed amazing strength and faith to walk away and leave her baby in the capable hands of the nursing staff each night. She has kept a log of Claire's seizure activity and her own pumping. She has handled the stress with rationale blessed to very few women. Now we live in a small hospital room at Doernbecher's and she manages to smile and laugh.

My dear wife, I don't know if you can possibly imagine how proud I am of you. Your love for your baby is powerful and endearing. The management of your life and extended family has somehow been balanced, yet stridently dedicated. If anyone deserves a fantastic, escapist Mother's Day, its you. And yet, we will be here, at Doernbecher's logging our baby's seizures, interpreting doctor's speak, and tolerating cafeteria food. There are no flowers, jewelry, or spa treatments this year. But know this, there is no place I'd rather be than with you and our daughter. I love you. Claire will not remember these events and may not ever recognize the love you give her, but I do. And I will remember these days and their trials--and how brilliantly you manage to get through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment